So you have decided for a destination wedding instead of getting married at home – you are not the only one. An increasing number of Australian couples prefer to have their nuptials far away instead of choosing the venues in their area. The benefits of doing so are multiple: having the chance to be more creative, worrying less about planning as everything is handles by wedding planners, keeping things casual so everyone is more comfortable, not needing to choose between their hometown and their partner’s, saving money, and starting their honeymoon immediately after the wedding without having to travel.
The first question that comes after deciding to organise a destination wedding is “where?”
One of the most popular choices here is Whitsunday Islands wedding venue and the destination is preferred by so many couples from Australia and other parts of the world for many reasons:
The Whitsundays is one of those iconic Aussie bucket list places that you find yourself dreaming about. The islands are known for beautiful sandy beaches, sparkling azure seas, and pure indulgence, as well as their proximity to the Great Barrier Reef. It is definitely one of the most beautiful places on the planet where you can say “I do”, and this comes with at least two advantages: having the perfect background for photos and spending less money on decor as nature itself is all you need to have a festive atmosphere.
Winter days sit around 25 degrees so you can still splash around in the water without feeling a chill. The Whitsundays can be visited at any time of the year with September being cited by most experts as the ideal time of year to visit the Whitsundays. During this period, days are sunny, rainfall chances are the smallest, temperatures vary around 26 °C, while humidity is low and the water is generally perfect for swimming and snorkelling. Moreover, September does not coincide with any school holidays, which means there will be fewer people visiting the Whitsundays.
You can very easily have the best of both ocean and bush in the Whitsunday Islands – this means you will be enjoying the best of Australian landscape at the same place. The archipelago is part of the Cumberland Island Group, the largest offshore island chain along the entire Australian coastline which includes more than 90 islands. The way these islands have formed is fascinating; they are peaks of drowned mountain ranges that have been separated by rising sea levels about 19,000 years ago when polar ice caps started to melt after the last ice age. The park on the Whitsundays is one of the six national parks in the area, created to protect the island’s wildlife and scenery.
Combine your wedding and honeymoon on the Whitsundays
Travelling for your honeymoon after the wedding has been a tradition for decades but it has some disadvantages. On the one hand, you can be quite tired after the wedding and not in the mood for travelling, and on the other hand, when you need to go somewhere else for your honeymoon you are more tempted to postpone the travel or cancel it altogether, thus missing the opportunity to create some wonderful memories. The great thing about a Whitsunday Islands wedding venue is that your honeymoon starts as soon as you get married, and there is no reason to give up on this precious time you both deserve. Moreover, you will have close friends and relatives with you for the first few days, while keeping the rest of the holiday just for the two of you!
Many couples give up on the idea of organising a destination wedding because they would have to travel too far, but getting to your Whitsunday Islands wedding venue is easy. The Whitsundays are located at just a 2-hour flight away from Brisbane, which is very convenient. If you get married on the Whitsundays, you just need to reach your destination as everything you need is there.
Once you bring your guests to your chosen Whitsunday Islands wedding venue for at least a couple of days, you are responsible for their entertainment. Luckily for you, people attending your wedding will never get bored on the Whitsundays as there are dozens of attractions out there, including:
- Hamilton Island – the most popular island in the Whitsundays, where you can find all modern facilities such as shops, airport, post office, restaurants, bars, and accommodation. The Hamilton Island Golf Club which has its very own island a short boat ride away is one of the main attractions on the island.
- Whitehaven Beach – considered by many to be the most beautiful beach on Earth. Its sand is 98% silica which makes it unbelievably white and cool. Since it is located on an uninhabited Whitsunday island, you can get there by seaplane, helicopter, or boat.
- The Heart Reef – your honeymoon is the best time to be romantic, so get into the right atmosphere by flying over Heart Reef, a small patch of the Great Barrier Reef that has the shape of a large love heart. This natural phenomenon has been discovered by a pilot in 1975 and can be seen during a scenic flight from Hamilton Island or Airlie Beach via helicopter or seaplane.
- Bareboating around the islands – this wonderful activity consists of sailing around the Whitsunday Islands without a crew and without requiring a boating license. Between 6 and 12 people can be accommodated on a boat and you are good to go after a quick briefing.
- Snorkelling the Great Barrier Reef – one of the most amazing experienced on Earth, which you can enjoy at its finest if you choose the luxury catamaran from Cruise Whitsundays providing a night dive before sleeping under the stars.
- Skydiving above the Great Barrier Reef – an experience for the bravest, this is probably the most exciting way to see the Whitsunday Islands. Tandem skydives are available from the Skydive Airlie Beach, enabling you to free fall for 60 seconds from 15,000 feet before floating for 5 to 7 minutes to your drop zone – truly an unforgettable experience.
Enjoying the most wonderful Whitsunday Islands wedding venue
Villa Botanica is among the top choices for Australian couples looking to have a destination wedding due to its spectacular views, complete discretion (the venue hosts only one wedding at a time), providing excellent wedding planning services, and offering the perfect backdrop for your ceremony with an exquisite hand carved timber wedding pavilion. The stylish extravagance of Villa Botanica is only equalled by the high standards of customer service we provide, so you have the most magical time of your life and your event comes up just the way you have imagined it.
Can you picture one of the most important days in your life being spent on Australia’s most beautiful islands? If the answer is yes, get in touch with us for a free, no-obligation quote. We understand that no two weddings are the same, so we take the time to get to know you, guide you through the process, and really understand what you need before we send you a quote – even if you have no clue on what your wedding should look like right now. Let’s start building together your wedding day at Villa Botanica!